Date:      Sat, 25 Dec 2004 20:43:28 -0800 (PST)
From:      Mike Brown <mike@hyperreal.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: MAJOR DISFUNCTION! Computer reboots instead of booting FreeBSD!

> My computer (HP Compaq DC7100) refuses to boot to FreeBSD. It enters
> the MBR, I then select FreeBSD in the bootloader and the computer
> reboots! What kind of behavior is this, and why won't it give FreeBSD a
> chance?

I had the same symptom on different hardware. If I watched closely, I could
see a kernel error message appear very briefly before the reboot. I tried
various things and posted here about it, but could not get past it, and no one
offered any help. Disabling ACPI made zero difference. I didn't understand why
it would boot fine on the miniinst CD to do the install, but wouldn't boot
from the HD (an ordinary ATA one, at that).

The problem went away when I gave up on FreeBSD 5.3 and installed FreeBSD 4.10
instead.