Date:      Wed, 21 Jul 1999 00:55:17 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Opinions on HP ScanJet 5P, please

Greg Lehey wrote:

> I've just been offered an HP ScanJet 5P second hand for about $150.
> Is this a good deal?  Any war stories?

I went to look it up and none of my catalogs show it. Since someone is
offering it to you, I would assume it is scsi. I don't remember the 5p
being a flatbed scanner and that is why I pulled out the catalogs. You
do presentations and being able to scan a transparency could be
important. The newer scanner are not that expensive and they do
amazing things. When it comes to software, the afordable, amazing
programs only run on Mac's or Window's machines. Scanning is like
photography in that part of the process involves some form of magic.
The magic occurs in the darkroom for the photograph but it is the
image programs that performs the magic on a scanner. They can take a
crummy photograph and crank brightness, contrast, and tint to the
point where the image sparkles. The hardware is only half of the
package.

HP scanner software packages are not really notable because you seem
to get the light variety of someone elses image software and you still
have to purchase the real thing. Their packages are as good as any of
the others I have payed attention to. You don't get Adobe's or Corel's
best image program in a scanner package that costs less than they sell
upgrades for. For simple scanning you probably can't tell the
difference between any of them. If you want to scan an old manual and
OCR, now you need all of the magic you can handle. I use Xerox's Pagis
Pro. I have more expensive programs but is as easy to use as any of
them. The problem is when their choice of contrast doesn't provide a
good image to OCR. The, you need knobs to twist and only some of them
such as the Xerox program let you do that. We went from 50%
recognition to almost a 100% by adjusting brightness and contrast when
we scanned some old computer runs. We had to scan to a file and then
start the OCR program and feed a file to it. You wouldn't convert many
pages this way before you gave up.

Kent

> Greg
> --
> See complete headers for address, home page and phone numbers
> finger grog@lemis.com for PGP public key

Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

mailto:kstewart@3-cities.com