Date:      Tue, 29 May 2001 09:42:01 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        User Ipt Ian Patrick Thomas <ipthomas_77@yahoo.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Evil ports!

User Ipt Ian Patrick Thomas <ipthomas_77@yahoo.com> types:
> 	Maybe NO_X = YES in make.conf?  I'm not sure.  I ran my system without X
> for a while and liked it quite a bit.  You should check out X with Blackbox
> though, very minimalistic.

No, NO_X stops the *base system* from building things to support
X. You want WITHOUT_X and WITHOUT_X11 (both, unfortunately). Of
course, ports that don't support that - possibly because they can't -
will still try and build X. To stop that, just remove /usr/ports/x11*,
and arrange things so it won't get rebuilt. Ports that need X will try
to build it - and fail.

	<mike