Date:      Sun, 31 Jan 1999 21:32:35 -0500 (EST)
From:      furgesl@balrog.ucs.uindy.edu
To:        FreeBSD Chat <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: English style (was: btokup().. patch to STYLE(9) (fwd)) (fwd)

>From another source:

In the opinion of a high school English teacher, the split infinitive is
not acceptable in academic writing; however, it is considered
grammatically correct.  To encourage young writers to advance their
writing "maturity", the split infinitive, contractions, and the use of
passive verbs are not permitted.  (Along with many others)

According to "Woe Is I" by Patricia T. O'Connner:

The truth is that the phrase "split infinitive" is misleading.  Since *to*
isn't really part of the infinitive, there's nothing to split.  A sentence
often sounds better when the *to* is close to the infinitive:  *Violet
decided to ask for a raise*.  But there's no harm in separating them by
putting a descriptive word or two in between:  *Violet decided to bravely
ask for a raise*.

Writers of English have been merrily "splitting" infinitives since the
1300's, and it was considered acceptable until the mid-nineteenth century,
when grammar books--notably Henry Alford's *Plea for the Queen's
English*--started calling it a crime.  (Some linguists trace the taboo to
the Victorians' slavish fondness for Latin, a language in which you
*can't* divide an infinitive.)  This "rule" was popular for half a
century, until leading grammarians debunked it.

Stefanie