Date:      Mon, 5 Jun 2000 13:10:23 -0400
From:      Troy Arie Cobb <tcobb@staff.circle.net>
To:        "'freebsd-stable@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   FATAL FS Mount bug in -STABLE and -RELEASE

I've found a fatal filesystem mount bug in both 4.0-STABLE and 4.0-RELEASE,
tested on the 20000604 snapshot of 4.0.

With both the GENERIC kernel and a custom kernel, the system hangs
tight when more than about 256 filesystems are mounted.  I've
tested this with loopback NFS mounts, remote NFS mounts,
and local NULL mounts.  The machine freezes, responds to pings and
changing of virtual console, but accepts no input.  No errors are written to
/var/log or console. A hard reset is the only way out, CTRL-ALT-DEL
doesn't work.

Please tell me what other info we can provide.  This should be easy to
reproduce, though I'd be happy to give anyone the perl scripts we use
to tickle the bug.

-Troy Cobb
 VP/CTO
 Circle Net, Inc.