Date:      Wed, 4 Sep 2019 14:04:03 +0200
From:      "Muenz, Michael" <m.muenz@spam-fetish.org>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 10 Gbps NIC - advice needed

Am 03.09.2019 um 22:33 schrieb BulkMailForRudy:

> I've been using Intel for years and they are great; however, I am=20
> building a new router and got all Chelsio cards (recommended on=20
> various tuning posts).
>
> If you just need 2 port copper, get a supermicro board with 10Gbps=20
> built into the motherboard.
>
> Search for "chelsio freebsd tuning" and just "chelsio freebsd"
>
> Rudy
>
> On 8/29/19 4:41 AM, Robert Heron wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I need to use a 10 Gbps, 2 port NIC (copper RJ-45) with FreeBSD 11.3R=20
>> amd64. Which NIC (manufacturer and model) would you recommend as the=20
>> most trouble-free and reliable?
>> Maybe some Intel?
>>
>> Robert
>>
>> =C2=A0 _______________________________________________

Hi,

my best observations on OPNsense (HardenedBSD) were Mellanox ConnectX-3=20
cards (and up). Reasonable price and best performance.

I didn't choose X710 as they had incredible problems on linux in the=20
beginning. Seems most is fixed with Firmware 6.X.

X520 has best compatibility, but a LAGG with LACP only gives 13Gbit, so=20
if you want to bundle better choose mlnx.

I have some Chelsio 580 cards with 40G which work great, but you need=20
fresh hardware with good cooling. With my old lab servers NICs were=20
silently torn down because of heating.

This is no adivse .. only my private observations :)

Best,

Michael