Date:      Tue,  5 Nov 96 16:47:15 Pacific Standard Time
From:      "Sean J. Schluntz"  <schluntz@pinpt.com>
To:        "Sean J. Schluntz"  <schluntz@pinpt.com>, Veggy Vinny  <richardc@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.org, dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu
Subject:   Re: Ricochet modem by Metricom

> > Yes.  They are all over campus.  Little black boxes on the roof. :)
> > > 	I wonder if the Ricochet modems will be faster later on since the
> > > modem can do up to 100kBps but if you're on the campus and only see
> > 28.8k
> > > then their claim isn't true.
> >
> > According to the info I have on my Ricochet moden their _network_ is
> > 100kbps, not the modems.  So it is easy to get low speeds in an area
> > where there are lots of modems sharing the same 100kbps channel.
>
> 	Hmmm, not according to what I understand.  The modems are 100kBps
> for the data xfer but their network goes out of a T1.

Now this is only what I understand from what the tech over at Metrocom
told me and the paperwork I got on it before I signed up but:

They have a T1 connection to the internet.  Their cluster hubs could
transmit data faster than the standard antennas to bounce data (They were
not to specific, but it sounded like ISDN connections to me).  Their area
networks (Hopping from ministation to ministation) was a 100kbps network
that they were going to expand.  The more people on the 100kbps network
the slower each one of them would be (The water down a hose with holes
idea.)

But it's not a 100kbps network for the whole bay, its smaller areas so
that they do not impact each other.  I am lucky to get 9600bps on mine in
down town San Jose.  I went to a con where I saw a few people with them
and a telnet session I was using was going more like 2400bps.

Once again, this is just from the info a friend and I were able to get
out of their techs when we called about speed problems.

-Sean
Sean J. Schluntz                                  <schluntz@pinpt.com>
Manager, Support Services                        ph. 408.997.6900 x222
PinPoint Software Corporation                    fx. 408.323.2300
6155 Almaden Expressway, Suite 100
San Jose, CA.  95120                             http://www.pinpt.com/

Local Time Sent: 11/05/96 16:47:15