Date:      Tue, 13 Feb 2001 01:32:08 -0800 (PST)
From:      Alex Teslik <teslik@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        teslik@yahoo.com
Subject:   3.2R to 4.2R upgrade issues

Dear List,
     I really enjoy using FreeBSD and love the work people do on it, but I am
concerned about the upgrade procedure and it's level of unreliability. At first
I tried to upgrade to 4.2R directly from 3.2R by CVSUP all of usr/src/, then
make world. This gave me an error related to libc in which perl could not find
setresuid and setresgid because they are calls that were not present until
libc.so.4. So, after digging through the lists I found an idea to link to the
new libc during building by using ldconfig. This also did not work. Then I
found a recommendation to upgrade to 4.0 first, then up to 4.2.
     Based on this advice, I erased all of /usr/src/, then all of /usr/obj. I
then CVSUP all of 4.0 src and ports successfully. Now, when I run make
buildworld (the first step in UPGRADE.txt) I get the following output:

install: /usr/src/gnu/lib/libobjc/../../../contrib/gcc/objc/hash.h: No such
file or directory
*** Error code 71

Stop.
*** Error code 1

Stop.
*** Error code 1

Stop.
    Going through the list I can see that many people are having these sorts of
problems where src does not compile correctly. I am willing to continue my dig
through the lists until I make it work on my system, and any help would be
greatly appreciated. However, I think it is in the best interest of the project
to make sure that RELEASE versions can compile reliably from previous versions
since they are by design complete versions of the system. I can understand
these types of problems with STABLE and CURRENT - thats what they are for, but
RELEASE should be self-contained. I think I'm not the only one with this
problem since when I checked the stats to freebsd.org I noticed that very few
of the hits are coming from systems running anything above 3.4. I think the
upgrade procedure plays a hand in that. I don't have a lot of programming
experience or knowledge, but if there is anything I can do please let me know.
Alex <teslik@yahoo.com>  p.s.- please reply to <teslik@yahoo.com>, I'm not subscribed.