Date:      Tue, 05 Jan 1999 17:21:09 -0800
From:      Ludwig Pummer <ludwigp@bigfoot.com>
To:        "Chase Masters" <transphusion@hotmail.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: locate command

At 05:06 PM 1/5/99 , Chase Masters wrote:
>This is my first time away from linux and working with a true UNIX OS.
>After installing and starting to get things setup I came across an error
>I have never saw before.  Could you help? The error follows after I try
>to locate something, like "locate pico" for example. I get this error.
>"locate: database too small: /var/db/locate.database"
>Much appreciate any help. Thanks.
>-Mannix-

In FreeBSD, locate searches through a database (/var/db/locate.batabase)
that gets recreated when the /etc/weekly script gets run (usually by Cron).
Just run /etc/weekly when the system is idle and it will create the database.

If you don't want to do that, you can just run
find / -name file_to_find
but that traverses your entire directory tree, so locate is much faster
once its database has been created.

--Ludwig Pummer ( ludwigp@bigfoot.com )
ICQ UIN: 692441 (  ludwigp@email.com  )