Date:      Tue, 15 Mar 2011 10:34:04 +0000
From:      Mike Scott <mike@scottsonline.org.uk>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: problems booting 8.x kernel

On 15/03/11 10:17, Ian Smith wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Mar 2011, Mike Scott wrote:
>
>   >  I think I'll have to give up because I'm out of ideas, settle for a linux
>   >  kernel on this particular target h/w,  and just hope this issue doesn't
>   >  affect another machine I have which is due for imminent upgrade from 6.2 to
>   >  8.x.
>
> Does it boot ok on 7.4?  Might that be suitable for this box's purpose?

Don't know about booting. I'm looking at multiple installations, which
confuses me as much as anyone :-)

The small server currently running 6.2 I need^W want to get up to 8.x
for the userland camera support.

The desktop I've mostly been referring to previously is a testbed before
I consider buying new hardware - I want to get a system installed, write
some software and get it all running before committing to significant
(at least for me!) expense. The problem being that I see some advantage
in trying debian kfreebsd (I need alsaplayer, and assume this would be
available) - which uses an 8.1 kernel and is where all this started
because it wouldn't boot! If pushed, I'd probably drop back to straight
debian/linux, but I'd rather stick with something I know a little about;
besides I happen to like freebsd :-)

Does that make some sort of sense??

--
Mike Scott