Date:      Sat, 24 Jan 2009 22:34:47 -0500
From:      Linda Messerschmidt <linda.messerschmidt@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Embedded scripting language advice sought

On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 2:46 PM, George Hartzell <hartzell@alerce.com> wrote:
> I don't have any useful advice to offer, but I would love it if you
> would summarize anything interesting that you get.
>
> I do a lot of computational biology work and am always interested in
> extension language for my computing systems.

There was not a lot of response.  One suggestion for Tcl and one for Ruby.

I figured that all of the possibilities were going to be a pain to
develop in their own unique way, so that was probably not the best
evaluation criteria.  The best choice was going to be the one that the
people who were going to use it every day were the most comfortable
with.

So what I did was code up little samples in each of the serious
contenders: Lua, Python, Ruby, and Tcl.  Without telling people which
language was which, I sent them around for votes.  I really liked the
Tcl syntax and I thought it was going to do really well, but Python
came back the winner.

Even so, I kept researching for farther-flung alternatives and turned
up a couple of others as well, although several of the "embedded
languages" are pretty stale, dead, or haven't gotten past
0.0.1-pre-alpha.  Of the "haven't heard of it before" languages, only
one called Pike earned serious consideration.  (Technically I had
heard of its predecessor LPC, but only as a result of a misspent
youth. :-) )

Pike and Python went head to head and, probably since our team is
heavy with C++ programmers, Pike came out on top.

So, we've started doing a proof-of-concept using Pike and we'll see
how it goes.  So far so good, and it's actually a pretty fun language
to work with.

-LM