Date:      Thu,  9 Dec 1999 12:18:26 +0100
From:      <nick.hibma@jrc.it>
To:        "Kazutaka YOKOTA" <yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp>, "Viren R. Shah" <viren@rstcorp.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG>, <yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp>
Subject:   Re: Using USB modules with an USB keyboard...

>     >I added your recommendations above to the kernel config file
>     >(TWELVE). It didn't work. As can be seen from the dmesg below,
when
>     >the USB options are present in the kernel, ukbd0 is found. When
USB
>     >KLDs are used, uhid0 seems to grab the keyboard.

this is correct. Both drivers know how to handle a HID device, but ukbd
has a higher priority. if you load the ukbd driver and then unplug-plug
the keyboard, the ukbd driver will attach to the keyboard.

>     >Dec  7 19:57:33 frabjous /kernel: ums0: Logitech USB-PS/2 Mouse
M-BA47, rev
>     1.
>     >00/1.10, addr 2, iclass 3/1

Could you send me the output of usbdevs -v when the mouse is connected?

usbdevs -v | mail n_hibma@webweaving.org

>     >Dec  7 19:57:33 frabjous /kernel: ums0: 4 buttons and Z dir.
>     >Dec  7 19:57:33 frabjous /kernel: uhid0: QTRONIX USB Keyboard and
Mouse, >     >Dec  7 19:57:33 frabjous /kernel: ums1: QTRONIX USB
Keyboard and Mouse,

You have a QTronix keyboard. It has been reported to me that the
keyboard repeats keys sometimes. Let me know whether this is the case.

Also, the firmware in the keyboard is very broken. If you hook up a PS/2
mouse to the keyboard, and notice that you get spurious button up events
(in X windows the window is dropped and picked up several times when
moving it), make sure you have an up to date version of the ums driver.
If you don't run current and run into this problem, let me know and I'll
see whether I can back port that fix to STABLE.

Nick