Date:      Sun, 16 Aug 1998 15:00:44 +0900
From:      Kazutaka YOKOTA <yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp>
To:        Andreas Dobloug <andreasd@ifi.uio.no>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp
Subject:   Re: video mode switching is only partially supported

>* Mike Smith
>| > I've got an Asus P2B-DS. Has anybody else on this list got this card
>| > and know which option (if any) which fixes this?
>| Which BIOS?  Probably AWARD, in which case it'll be in the "BIOS
>| Feature Setup" screen.   If you can't find it, it's either not there or
>| you shouldn't be using a PC.  8)
>
>Yes, it's an AWARD-bios. Believe me: I've tried all tried all the
>options regarding the display-card before I posted here :-). The only
>thing I cand find in the "BIOS Feature Setup" which has anything to do
>with the video-card is 'Video ROM BIOS Shadow' (yep, I've tried
>switching it off) and 'PCI/VGA Palette Snoop' which doesn't agree with
>my monitor. The 'Standard CMOS Setup' screen has got a field called
>'Video', but the field always comes up with 'EGA/VGA' after saving the
>settings to the bios. Guess I have to choose between running X or a
>console :-).
>
>--
>Andreas Dobloug : email: andreasd@ifi.uio.no

You don't need to worry too much about this "video mode switching is
only partially supported" message, so long as you are using the
standard 80x25 text mode in the console.

The thing is that the syscons driver finds the video mode table in
your card's BIOS is not organized the way it can understand.
Therefore, syscons cannot switch to some video modes, such as EGA
80x43 and graphics modes for which syscons needs parameters from BIOS.

The message does NOT mean that your card does not support mode
switching.  It is syscons which finds it difficult. There currently is
no way to force syscons to switch video modes when it prints the above
message.

But, even if you see the above message, you should still be able to
use VGA 80x25, VGA 80x30, VGA 80x50, VGA 80x60 (you need to load 8x8
font for the latter two modes, though).  AND, you should have no
trouble running the X server (if it supports your card), because the X
server directly manipulates video hardware and needs little assistance
from syscons when switching to a graphics mode.

Kazu