Date:      Wed, 1 Mar 2000 21:02:09 -0500 (EST)
From:      Robert Watson <robert@cyrus.watson.org>
To:        Andrey Novikov <scriber@webclub.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: schg flag

Hmm.

mocking:/tmp# mkdir bin
mocking:/tmp# cp /bin/* bin/
mocking:/tmp# chflags schg bin/*
mocking:/tmp# mv bin binold
mocking:/tmp# mkdir bin
mocking:/tmp# cp trojan bin/ls

Nope. :-)  Looks like you really need to protect your hierarchy also :-).

mocking:/tmp# cp /bin/* bin
mocking:/tmp# chflags schg bin/* bin
mocking:/tmp# mv bin binold
mv: rename bin to binold/bin: Operation not permitted
mocking:/tmp#

I.e., other than /, each directory leading to the files that need to be
protected.  Without doing this, the directories may easily be replaced by
rearranging the dir tree, leaving your schg'd binaries safely unmodified,
but with users (boot sequence, etc) using the replacements.

Robert

On Tue, 29 Feb 2000, Andrey Novikov wrote:

> Hello,
>
> It seems to me that it will be more secure for my
> public server to say at least:
>
> chflags schg /bin/*
> chflags schg /sbin/*
> chflags schg /usr/bin/*
> chflags schg /usr/sbin/*
> chflags schg /usr/local/bin/*
> chflags schg /usr/local/sbin/*
>
> to prevent any troyans in my system binaries, am I wrong?
> Would it confuse future makeworlds on that system?

  Robert N M Watson