Date:      Sun, 3 Dec 2000 12:49:48 -0800
From:      "Crist J . Clark" <cjclark@reflexnet.net>
To:        rene@xs4all.nl
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: upgrading to 4.x-stable; problem with kernel compile

On Sun, Dec 03, 2000 at 12:24:48PM +0100, lowlevel wrote:

> Hi. I'm trying to upgrade my system from 3.4-stable to 4.x-stable, and am having problems getting a 4.x kernel operating.
>
> The handbook tells me to;
>
>   If you have just upgraded to a newer version of 4.X or higher (ie from 3.X to 4-STABLE, or even from 4-STABLE to a later version of 4-STABLE), make sure you have built the world, and then run the following commands:
>
>     # cd /usr/src
>     # make buildkernel KERNEL=MYKERNEL
>     # make installkernel KERNEL=MYKERNEL
>
> Unfortunately I get this error message;
>
> 	make: don't know how to make buildkernel. Stop
>
> Can anyone tell me why?

You don't appear to have a 4.x Makefile.

> I've followed the handbook, ofcourse, and that lead me to downloaded the sources via cvsup, using the following cvsup file;
>
> --BEGIN contents /etc/cvsupfile
> *default  host=cvsup.nl.FreeBSD.org
> *default  basftpmaile=/usr
> *default  prefix=/usr
> *default  release=cvs
> *default  tag=FreeBSD-STABLE
> *default  delete use-rel-suffix
>
> src-all
> *default tag=.
> ports-all
> doc-all
> --END contents /etc/cvsupfile

That's not the correct tag for 4-STABLE. You want,

  tag=RELENG_4

> this resulted in the following file:
>
> -rwxr-----  1 root  wheel  211094016 Feb 18  2000 /usr/src.tar

No, it is not. CVSup does not make a tarball.

> I then proceeded with
> /usr/src # rm -Rf *
> /usr # tar xf src.tar
>
> which created me a new /usr/src tree.

I dunno where this file came from.

> /usr/src # make world; fastboot
> went OK aswell.

I'm guessing you just rebuilt your 3.x world?

> The output of make world was saved (as advised in handbook), and is available at request due to largeness (5M+ text :)

What is the result of,

  $ grep '\$(FreeBSD|Id)' /usr/src/Makefile

Just wanna see what source bundle you do have there. But what you need
to do is actually CVSup 4-STABLE.