Date:      Sat, 8 Jun 2002 00:53:52 -0700
From:      "J. Mallett" <jmallett@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Joshua Goodall <joshua@roughtrade.net>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Perl wrapper bad

* From Joshua Goodall <joshua@roughtrade.net>
> ... when I say "bad" I don't mean in execution. I mean that
> the idea of a redirecting wrapper for one special program seems to
> me an architectural wart that shouldn't be pushed on the userbase.

With no gain except supporting improperly-shebanged scripts.

We can use s/// in ports to fix shebangs, so there's not much excuse
there, and I'd rather have a tool using autoconf find the Real perl
than the wrapper, but to do this I have to deviate from the path I
normally use to prefer system utilities over local ones:
	/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/ucb:/usr/gnu/bin:/usr/local/bin:/a/pkg/bin: \
	/sbin:/usr/sbin:/usr/etc:/usr/gnu/sbin:/usr/local/sbin:/a/pkg/sbin

Can you spot all the places Perl might be there?  Can you now tell me
which one a ``wrapper'' for "the 'real' Perl" should look?  And what about
where autoconf scripts should find perl?
--
J. Mallett <jmallett@FreeBSD.org>                    FreeBSD: The Power To Serve

	"I've coined new words, like, misunderstanding and Hispanically."
	   -- George W. Bush, Radio-Television Correspondents Association
	      dinner, Washington, D.C., March 29, 2001