Date:      Thu, 19 Apr 2001 20:59:24 +0300
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@orbitel.bg>
To:        Glenn Johnson <gjohnson@srrc.ars.usda.gov>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Handling tarballs with no version

On Thu, Apr 19, 2001 at 12:53:05PM -0500, Glenn Johnson wrote:
> I have a port that I maintain that does not use a version number in
> the tar file.  If I update the port and bump either the PORTVERSION or
> PORTREVISION variable, then users who have the port installed will get
> a CHECKSUM mismatch when doing an upgrade.  How can I force the update
> of the distfile when one installs the port?  I was thinking that running
> the distclean target prior to fetch would work but what is the cleanest
> way to implement that?

Absolutely bump the PORTREVISION; then, leave it up to the users to
make sure they have the latest.  Yes, this will break automated builds,
but such is life :(

Invoking distclean before fetch would be a *bad* idea - it would force
a re-fetch every time somebody tries to build this port, or some port
dependent on it.

G'luck,
Peter

--
You have, of course, just begun reading the sentence that you have just finished reading.