Date:      Fri, 25 Sep 2009 17:58:18 +0530 (IST)
From:      Saifi Khan <saifi.khan@datasynergy.org>
To:        "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@berklix.com>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: why no Oracle on FreeBSD ?

On Thu, 24 Sep 2009, Julian H. Stacey wrote:

> > > Best ask direct of commercial application vendor Oracle.
> > > IE wave money under Oracle's nose & ask to purchase what you want.
> > >
> > > If Oracle think there's enough profit in it, there's many BSD
> > > consultants eg http://berklix.com/consultants/ willing to work.
> > >
> > > Cheers,
> > > Julian
> > > --
> >
> > i was wondering if there is any technical reason behind this ?
>
> Most unlikely. Ask Oracle & tell advocacy@ what you find out.
> I'd bet perceived market share & demand as ever, ie Money.

Hi Julian:

Here is the response on the Oracle forum thread to my posting,

"""
FreeBSD is a kernel not used in any extant operating system with
the sole exception being Apple's Mac OSX so you are heading,
full speed ahead, toward disappointment. FreeBSD handles many
things very differently from the UNIX System 5 standard so you
can not just kludge your way into this.

What fascinates me about your request is why you care. FreeBSD
is going nowhere at a staggeringly fast pace. And to the same
place as went Oracle Database version 8.0. Obscurity.

Install Oracle's Enterprise Linux and you will have a real
operating system in less time than you've spent monitoring this
thead. And as an additional value it will support the Oracle
technology stack while you are still young enough to use it.
"""

and
"""
IF you can match up the system calls, then you can 'make it
work'.
"""

The relevant  links are
1.  http://forums.oracle.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=952076&tstart=0
2.  http://forums.oracle.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=952076&tstart=0

The response seems to suggest that there is some feature used by
Oracle which is expected from a UNIX Sys 5 std and perhaps
FreeBSD does not support/have the syscall.

Given the response, What is your analysis of the situation ?

thanks
Saifi.