Date:      Sat, 12 May 2001 07:43:47 +0100
From:      simond@irrelevant.org
To:        Lamont Granquist <lamont@scriptkiddie.org>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: fat32 slower than dogshit?

On Fri, May 11, 2001 at 03:19:21PM -0700, Lamont Granquist wrote:

> Well, i think it is, i'm actually not too sure exactly how fast dogshit is
> in the first place.  But in doing a simple untar on a fat32 partition
> using both 4-stable a couple days after release and a recently updated
> 4-stable as of yesterday (5/10) it goes about 20-30 times slower than an
> untar on a UFS partition.  Now i know fat32 is supposed to be slower than
> UFS, but this seems a little bit rediculous.  Does this sound like a known
> problem?  If someone wants more information I can probably dig down and
> get it if I know what you want...

I noticed that the msdos filesystem got very slow myself a while back, for
me turning the write cache (ata(4)) back on helped speed things back up
again, it's not the ideal solution, but it worked for me.

--
Simon Dick					simond@irrelevant.org
"Why do I get this urge to go bowling everytime I see Tux?"