Date:      Sun, 28 Jan 1996 14:56:41 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        alpert@ix.netcom.com
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 2.1: Hangs during HD boot.

alpert@ix.netcom.com stands accused of saying:
> CD-ROM.  Booting and installation went without a hitch.  On attempting to boot
> from a hard drive, the boot process reaches the following point, and does not
> proceed further within a 30 minute period:
>
> Boot:
> Booting wd(0,a)/kernel @ 0x10000
> text=0xe9000
>
> The hard drive activity LED remains steadily lit without any flashing.

Some more information in a useable form would be nice.  Is this a PCI
system?  If it is, and there are options on the BIOS to disable "IDE
readahead" or "IDE prefetch" or anything fancy to do with IDE, turn
them off.  It looks like something bad is happening to the bootstrap
process that loads the kernel, and if the HD light stays on and
there are no error messages, it looks like a hardware interaction
problem.

> Alan M. Alpert

]] "Who does BSD?" "We do Chucky, we do."                               [[