Date:      Thu, 31 Jul 1997 09:38:12 -0400
From:      "Adametz, Bluejay " <bluejay@amp.com>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: login_getclass:, login.conf

Regarding:

>I just installed FreeBSD 2.2.2 and I get a strange message
>whenever I log in with root or su to root or TRY to telnet
>in with root.
>
><date> <server> login: login_getclass: unknown class 'root'

and

There is an errata in the WC cdrom which states that a login.conf file
may
not transfer when installing.  The fix is to cp from the second disk
/usr/src.  I'm unable to find such a file on either disk, or on an
earlier
release.  What must the file contain, and in what syntax?  I'll try
creating it myself, unless that is prohibitively difficult for a
neophyte.

I think these are related. I created a simple login.conf file, based on
information in the man pages containing the following:

default:\
        shell=/bin/csh  :\
        minpasswordlen=6
root:\
        tc=default

and it took care of the login_getclass errors.

/s/ a new FreeBSD user
---
Bluejay Adametz, CFII, A&P	bluejay@amp.com
Greenville, SC, USA		+1 864 675 7425
AMP Circuits, an AMP division
---
Not to laugh, not to lament, not to curse, but to understand.