Date:      Tue, 2 May 1995 06:10:27 -0700 (PDT)
From:      nlawson@statler.csc.calpoly.edu (Nathan Lawson)
To:        bmk@dtr.com (Brant Katkansky)
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Security options for NFS?

> I'm looking to secure NFS and other services not covered by tcpd -
> what's the conventional wisdom for FreeBSD 2.0?

Good question.  I recommend compiling with the "IPFIREWALL" and
"IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE" options.  Then you can deny packets to those services
with the ipfw(8) utility.  Also, if you don't have the full ability to
firewall, then you can use the SecureLib library.  It compiles with very
minor tweaking.  I am considering sending it in to the ports people or
whoever if anyone wants it.

For NFS, block tcp and udp ports 111, and udp port 2049.

Good luck,
--
Nathan Lawson     \    Never let your schooling interfere with your education.
CSL 490/News Admin \