Date:      Thu, 17 Jul 1997 19:22:28 -0500
From:      dkelly@hiwaay.net
To:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Non-Intels

hlew@www2.shoppersnet.com said:
> NexGen Nx586 cpu folks felt even worse because their chips were
> labeled as "386s".

nexgen: [80] dmesg | head
Copyright (c) 1992-1997 FreeBSD Inc.
Copyright (c) 1982, 1986, 1989, 1991, 1993
        The Regents of the University of California.  All rights reserved.

FreeBSD 2.2-STABLE #0: Mon Jul 14 22:57:15 CDT 1997
    dkelly@nexgen.hiwaay.net:/usr/src/sys/compile/NEXGEN
CPU: NexGen 586 (386-class CPU)
                 ^^^--> Microsoft wasn't the only one.

(grumble grumble grumble)  :-)

Actually its fair to label the Nx586 as a 386 because it lacks features a
486 has. And has some the 386 doesn't. FWIW NexGen built the worlds fastest
386's, not pin compatible with anything, not even themselves. My CPU is in
a ZIF socket but then the factory CPU fan breaks they were exchanging the
whole MB rather than trust the user to change the fan, or to ship a CPU
with fan attached. Apparently the CPU was factory selected to mate with the
MB. Very few users have been able to overclock a NexGen MB.

I'd like to see AMD succeed. Maybe I'll upgrade this thing in a couple of
months to a K6 if the problems are solved. In the next couple of weeks I'll
be needing several systems for work, were downtime costs much more than at
home. Pentium 133's are looking attractive.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net