Date:      Mon, 5 Mar 2001 22:39:44 -0800
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "T. William Wells" <bill@twwells.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: SUN TO BSD

Hi Bill,

  I hope you don't mind me CCing the list on the response,
I'm doing it in case someone else is scratching their head
wondering why I advocated such an odd approach.

  I've actually done a few of these Slowlaris migrations
myself.  The first one I did attempt it your way, by constructing
this script thingie to do it without the necessity of a manual
intervention with a spreadsheet.

  Well, I was very unhappy to discover this nice little
present that Sun left the UNIX administrators that work on
Slowlaris - their password tools do NOT check the password
files consistency!  vipw is the biggest offender, but there's
others.

  The result of this was that I had a Solaris box where the
first 300-500 lines between the regular and the shadow file
were in phase, then there was a missing entry from the shadow
and for a couple hundred more lines they were out of phase,
then there were 2 missing entries from the regular and
they were out of phase the other direction, etc.

  Don't ask me how this system worked at all, but it had
been running apparently for years in this state!  Authentication
for all users worked, and the only thing that didn't
work was finger - invariably fingering a user would return that
the user didn't exist.  Of course I figured all this out later,
after spending several hours discovering that this even could
happen at all.  You could imagine what a pissed-off state I
was in by then.

  Since then I don't trust raw Slowlaris password files any further
than I can spit a rat, and I always do a visual inspection of
all the entries.  A spreadsheet is the quickest way to do a
visual inspection and can be used to merge the two files.  Even
going through 10K entries in a spreadsheet shouldn't take more than
15 minutes or so, you don't after all have to read every single line.

  You might think it's error-prone but your going to have a
lot of work to add all the consistency checking into a migration
script, and by the time you finish debugging a script to do this
my way is a lot quicker.  Also, even if you do make up a script
to do this, if the script blows the whistle on an inconsistent
Slowlaris password file, your still going to have to go digging
around in it with vipw to fix the problem.

  Still, I'd be interested in anything that you do have that's
more intelligent than a "grab-n-mash with the assumption that
the Slowlaris password files are consistent to start with"