Date:      Sun, 1 Jun 2014 09:07:27 -0700
From:      Craig Rodrigues <rodrigc@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Greg Lewis <glewis@freebsd.org>, George Neville-Neil <gnn@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "jenkins-admin@freebsd.org" <jenkins-admin@freebsd.org>, "freebsd-java@freebsd.org" <freebsd-java@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Testing OpenJDK functionality on FreeBSD?

Hi,

Recently when setting up Jenkins under FreeBSD,
I found two problems where java would crash:

(1)  10.0R crash:  https://wiki.freebsd.org/Jenkins#line-37
(2)  9.2R crash: https://wiki.freebsd.org/Jenkins#line-38

These problems were seen with Jenkins,
but people running other Java programs saw these problems as well.

Both problems were due to bugs in the FreeBSD VM.
Since I am not a VM expert, these problems were very
difficult to track down, and I had to rely on other people
like jkim to track the problem down.
Also, the people who work on the FreeBSD VM
didn't seem too willing to install the OpenJDK port and reproduce the
problem

In future, what is the best way to coordinate fixing this
type of problem where the bug may not be in the OpenJDK code,
but somewhere in the FreeBSD kernel or userland?

These types of problems may require getting people involved with
deeper expertise in kernel, VM, threading, etc.

Thanks.
--
Craig