Date:      Tue, 15 Sep 2015 19:32:35 +0900
From:      Brendan Sechter <sgeos@hotmail.com>
To:        "freebsd-current@freebsd.org" <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   FreeBSD 11.0-CURRENT Single User Keymap

When compiling a FreeBSD 11.0-CURRENT kernel=2C what is required to change =
the keymap used in single user mode? =A0I originally asked this question on=
 the FreeBSD forums=2C but was bounced to the mailing list because CURRENT =
is an unsupported version.=0A=
=0A=
I have read an old forum thread on this topic. I have also read the=A0atkbd=
(4)=A0and=A0ukbd(4)=A0man pages. The relevant parts of my kernel configurat=
ion are as follows:=0A=
=0A=
#=A0----------=A0----------=A0----------=A0----------=0A=
include GENERIC=0A=
ident MY_KERNEL=0A=
=0A=
# AT Keyboard=0A=
device atkbdc=0A=
options ATKBD_DFLT_KEYMAP=0A=
makeoptions ATKBD_DFLT_KEYMAP=3Djp.106=0A=
device atkbd=0A=
=0A=
# USB Keyboard=0A=
device ukbd=0A=
options UKBD_DFLT_KEYMAP=0A=
makeoptions UKBD_DFLT_KEYMAP=3Djp.106=0A=
=0A=
# everything else=0A=
# ...=0A=
#=A0----------=A0----------=A0----------=A0----------=0A=
=0A=
So far as I can tell=2C these options should be working. I am using a 106 k=
ey Japanese keyboard. Single user mode appears to use the keymap for a 101 =
key standard US layout. I have tried the following values:=0A=
- jp=0A=
- jp.106=0A=
- jp.106.kbd (not tried recently)=0A=
=0A=
Finally=2C this is a FreeBSD VM running in VirtualBox on OSX. I am 99% sure=
 I am having the same problem on my physical machines. The specific driver =
almost certainly depends on the hardware.=0A=
=0A=
Thanks=2C=0A=
-Brendan 		 	   		  =