Date:      Thu, 18 Sep 1997 08:17:21 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        nik@iii.co.uk
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Different kernels for the bindist and boot.flp?

> This is why I was thinking about seperating the bin dist into a bin dist and
> a kernel dist. The new bin dist contains everything non-kernel specific,
> the kernel dists each contain one kernel with support for a specific set of
> features, and the kernel config file used to create them.

You can do this already with the "synthetic dist" support.  See
/usr/src/release/scripts/*-make.sh for how the existing synthetic
dists are made (a "synthetic" dist defined as one which was not
actually created directly by doing a "make distribute").  There's
nothing which says you couldn't pull the kernel out of bin, add a
couple more kernels, and call it a kdist or something.

					Jordan