Date:      Sun, 31 Dec 2006 14:32:12 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Zbigniew Szalbot <zbyszek@szalbot.homedns.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: changing subject of this list?

--------------enig9F86CFF888539A42BDC6724C

Zbigniew Szalbot wrote:

> All the best for the New Year to everyone. By the way, would it be
> possible for this list to introduce a subject prefix like [FBSDQ] or
> something along this line? It would make sorting much easier. Some peop=
le
> put the list address in CC so with MUAs like SquirrelMail it is a bit
> difficult to filter the messages.

A very effective method of filtering is to look for the List-ID: header.
Most mail software won't display it to you without persuasion, but
for freebsd-questions@... it looks like this:

[...]
tions>,=20
	<mailto:freebsd-questions-request@freebsd.org?subject=3Dunsubscribe>
[...]

Mailing lists should nowadays include a List-ID: header in the mails they=

send out.  [RFC 2919 if you're that interested] Sorting messages based on=

it is, I find, generally the most accurate way to classify them correctly=
=2E

It's very easy to do in procmail -- too obvious to bother giving an
example. In thunderbird, you have go into Tools:Message Filters, then
hit New to create a new rule, then choose 'Customize' from the 'Subject'
pull-down.  Unfortunately squirrelmail is not a software package I know
much about, but I'd expect any reasonably competent e-mail client to
be able to filter on arbitrary mail headers without too much trouble.

	Cheers

	Matthew

--=20
                                                      Flat 3