Date:      Sun, 29 May 2011 22:29:09 +0000
From:      Joe Altman <freebsd-announce@chthonic.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Building misc/freebsd-doc-en fails

On Sun, May 29, 2011 at 02:32:37PM +0000, Joe Altman wrote:

> There is this thread from 2009, and it looks like the same issue as
> the one in this message:
>
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2009-December/209892.html
>
> It looks like I'll need to open a bug report with the Doc project
> team.

After reading the thread referenced above, and looking at the output
of my build, I noticed that the build was failing in different areas.

So I decided to run make on the port multiple times, and eventually
the port installed successfully. However, the port in my tree (dated #
$FreeBSD: ports/misc/freebsd-doc-en/Makefile,v 1.36 2011/05/22
14:28:49 blackend Exp $) in a fresh tree made only through
2010, according to the copyright at the top of the
handbook. Individual files in that doc tree were variously dated; the
newest being 8/2010.

So I ran make, multiple times, on the source; and that gave me a doc
tree dated 2011. Most of the files there were dated 5/29/11. A few
exceptions were found in image files dated 3/2010, which all loaded in
SeaMonkey, except for some files in: advanced-networking, security,
vinum, geom. I may have missed others in other books.

To summarize:

1) It appears that make is, in this case, a hammer that must be
applied more than once to either the source or the port.

2) Not all images are seen as valid, and according to make may have
bad magic numbers. If building from source is used on a fresh tree, it
may be possible to have make ignore all the errors by using the -k
flag.

3) I have no idea how things will go with an upgrade to the doc
source; I normally use portupgrade, so I suppose I will find out
later.

I've submitted a bug report.

Best regards,

Joe