Date:      Sat, 18 Jan 97 22:45:24 UT
From:      "Gary Brown" <Zilgen@msn.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Can't install FreeBSD-2.1.6 basic (bin) installation on my Sony  PCV-90 with 2.5 GB IDE drive

I have attempted to install the FreeBSD-2.1.6 base system (i.e., '/bin'
packages only) onto my Sony PCV-90 PC which has a 2.5 GB IDE disk drive.

The system already has Win95 installed and has a 'C:' partition which occupies
the first 84% of the physical disk.

I deleted the extended DOS partition and logical group that occupied the last
16% of the drive in preparation for the FreeBSD root and swap partitions.

I followed the Visual installation process by placing the '/bin' packages into
a DOS directory "C:/FREEBSD/BIN", creating a boot/installation disk from the
bootstrap programs and then proceeding to follow all instructions for creating
a base system (disabling drivers where necessary).

The process appear to work up until it was time to place the "/bin" files into
the newly created FreeBSD partition.  At this point, the Visual installation
process informed me that it could not write each block of data onto the
partition (write error code -1).

What is the problem here?