Date:      Tue, 18 May 2004 09:58:50 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        "Eric Parsonage" <eric@eparsonage.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Best way to install FBSD5.2.1 and Windows XP what proceedure to follow.

> From: "Eric Parsonage" <eric@eparsonage.com>
> Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 00:28:59 +0930
> Sender: owner-freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
>
> Hi all
>
> I have a Toshiba Satellite A30 whic currently has WIndows XP home on it but
> it is brand new so I dont mind trashing it and starting from scratch.
>
> I want to Dual boot with FBSD 5.2.1 and Windows XP Pro. I need to put XP
> home on the machine before XP Pro upgrades it so I get all the toshiba
> utilities.
>
> Can anybody give me any advice on what order to do everything in and what
> tools to use ?

Leave XP on the disk and use Partition Magic or some similar tool to
shrink the XP partition to the desired size. I would try to keep it
rather small (by XP standards). Add two FAT32 partitions, one for
FreeBSD and one as a scratch space accessible from both FreeBSD and
XP. (FreeBSD can only read NTFS partitions but both systems can read and
write FAT.) You will have to figure out how to split up the space
according to how the system will be used.

Boot the install CD and re-label the first FAT slice as FreeBSD. Install
FreeBSD in this slice. Make sure to install a boot manager so that both
systems can be booted.

NOTE: This is not a tutorial. All details that apply to any install were
pretty much skipped.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)