Date:      13 Dec 2005 16:55:23 +0530
From:      "N. Raghavendra" <raghu@mri.ernet.in>
To:        "Kiffin Gish" <kiffin@gish.demon.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Lousy network performance ...

At 2005-12-13T10:15:48+01:00, Kiffin Gish wrote:

> My service-provider claims that his network is just fine (of
> course!) and that the problem is because of all the 'so-called junk'
> I have configured on my home network on my side of the connection.

You could use Iperf (http://dast.nlanr.net/Projects/Iperf/), if your
ISP agrees to install an Iperf server at his end of the connection.
When we had a similar problem here, the ISP refused to do so.  Since
the ISP believed only readings from MS Windows/Linux (and not *BSD),
we put a machine running Linux at our end, and by downloading large
files with wget(1) from high bandwidth servers like `kernel.org',
convinced them that we were not getting what we should have been.

Raghavendra.

--
N. Raghavendra <raghu@mri.ernet.in> | See message headers for contact
Harish-Chandra Research Institute   | and OpenPGP details.