Date:      Mon, 14 Feb 2005 17:23:07 +0100
From:      Anthony Atkielski <atkielski.anthony@wanadoo.fr>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Choosing to install turns off laptop. HD is untouched.

Ted Mittelstaedt writes:

> Generally the MO in the past has been to use the el-cheapo-ist components
> possible, then when the OEM vendors discover some hardware bug or other
> shortfall, they have Microsoft help them to write around the problems
> with various patches, which are included in the OEM version of Windows.
>
> While this has (mostly) gone away for desktop systems, it is still going
> on fiercely with laptops.

One reason why I've always hated laptops.

> First of all HP purchased Compaq a while ago, and when the sale was
> completed they dumped the Netserver line, servers from them are
> now HP Proliants. (Proliant was the Compaq line)

Are they as good as their HP and Compaq predecessors?

> The Netservers and Proliants in general never had touble with FreeBSD.
> Considering they certified them with Solaris/Netware/etc. they had to
> be pretty standard.

Compaq Proliants had a lot of weird stuff running on the server, as I
recall.  As long as you stuck to the OEM versions it ran fine, but if
you tried to wipe the machine and install a vanilla OS, things went
wrong.

> Fine advice for low-end servers and desktops.  Terrible for high-end
> servers unless you really, really know what your doing, and you
> understand that your total cost will be more than if you just buy
> a turnkey server from someone.  And rather impossible for laptops.

Impossible for laptops, yes.  I assume anyone who needs a really
high-end server is going to know a lot about what he is doing, anyway
(much more so than the average user of a really high-end desktop).

Of course, if you can find a high-end server that meets your
requirements, there's no need to build one yourself.  I'd still prefer
that it be delivered without any OS, though, just to avoid the OEM
tweaking.

It's one thing to optimize server hardware and software for server use;
I'm all in favor of that.  But I think it should always be done with
off-the-shelf products that you can buy anywhere, otherwise you risk
being the captive of a specific vendor or vendors.  For every advantage
you might get from OEM tweaks, there is likely to be a corresponding
disadvantage.

--
Anthony