Date:      Sat, 05 Jul 1997 00:47:49 -0500
From:      dkelly@hiwaay.net
To:        guelph@tpts5.seed.net.tw
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Help

 guelph@tpts5.seed.net.tw asks:

> Dear Sir
> What is the equivalent command in FreeBSD to the MS-Dos command
> " dir filename  /s "(search the file in all the file system)?

I don't do DOS, but from your description I'd say:

% find / -name filename -print

See the manpage for find for more details but in summary the above starts
at / an looks for a file named "filename" and prints what if finds. The
-print is optional in SGI's (starting with Irix 6.3) and FreeBSD's find but
not in other Unix find's. One furthing thing, if you quote "file*" you can
use wildcards to match the filename. You've got to quote the expression
else it will expand in your current directory, and thats probably not what
you really want.

Another fun way to use find:

% find / -name "file*" -exec ls -l "{}" \;

I won't explain that one. For more examples of find, see /etc/daily and
/etc/weekly.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net