Date:      Sat, 25 Nov 2000 19:10:09 +0100
From:      Wilko Bulte <wkb@freebie.demon.nl>
To:        Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely8.cicely.de>
Cc:        "Person, Roderick" <personrp@ccbh.com>, "'freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org '" <freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Machine Panic with 4.0 Alpha install

On Sat, Nov 25, 2000 at 01:11:17PM +0100, Bernd Walter wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 25, 2000 at 10:13:45AM +0100, Wilko Bulte wrote:
> > No, I have run 4.x on a 16Mb Multia. Slow as molasses, 32Mb makes
> > it 2x faster. But it does run.
>
> The question is more if it can be installed with 16M?
> We have the md and a big kernel.

I think 'yes'. I think I tried 4.2RC1 on a 16Mb Multia and don't
remember problems. Not that I like 16Mb on Alpha.

> Additionaly we don't have a swappartition on the first steps.
> Not to forget that the ppp installation might want a big piece too.

In my case it was a CDROM.

> Maybe it's not impossible to install with 16M but on a hard edge.
> Just guessing.

Given some time I'll try to see what happens with 16Mb

--
Wilko Bulte  	 					Arnhem, the Netherlands
wilko@freebsd.org  	http://www.freebsd.org 		http://www.nlfug.nl