Date:      Mon, 27 Nov 2000 22:51:27 -0500
From:      Bob Johnson <bob@garbonzo.hos.ufl.edu>
To:        alex_b@MailAndNews.com, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: JBuilder, Linux Compatibility

> Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 00:43:11 -0500
> From: Alexander Batzios <alex_b@MailAndNews.com>
> Subject: JBuilder, Linux Compatibility
>
> Hi all. I've just had to go to Linsux, uhm, Linux due to some compatibility
> issues. I've tried mandrake and redhat but it seems they are too unstable to
> use.
>
> I'm thinking of going back to freebsd but there are certain issues that
> concern me.
> 1) I need to do some serious software development with JBuilder. I've only
> seen JBuilder and Java for Linux. Is there a chance they'll run on FreeBSD? Do
> I have to use some sort of linux emulation? If yes, how fast and reliable is
> it?

FreeBSD has a Linux compatibility mode in which Linux libraries
are installed and used by FreeBSD.  It probably isn't correct to
call it "emulation".  Linux programs run at full speed because
everything runs as normal compiled Linux code: there is no
"emulation" layer to slow things down.  I don't know about
JBuilder specifically, but most Linux code will run under
FreeBSD.

> 2) How good is KDE 2 support in FreeBSD 2?

I've never used it, but it is available and I've heard that
it works.  I'm sure someone else can provide more detail.

> 3) I am using a Dell Inspiron 7500 laptop. Is FreeBSD compatible with that?

I use FreeBSD on an Inspiron 7500 as my primary system.  It works
quite well (suspend-to-disk for example is more reliable than
under Windows 98).  You may want to take a look at my hints for
FreeBSD on the 7500 at http://www.afn.org/~afn01750/inspiron.html.
In particular, the XF86Config file may help get you started,
although I'm sure it isn't optimum.

> Any help will be greatly appreciated.

I hope that helps.  Good luck.

> Thanks in advance,
> alex

- Bob

--

     --  Bob Johnson  --  bobj@ufl.edu  --  bobj@atlantic.net --

"We want one class to have a liberal education. We want another class,
a very much larger class of necessity, to forgo the privilege of a
liberal education and fit themselves to perform specific difficult
manual tasks."

   - Woodrow Wilson, explaining why the U.S. public school system
     is designed to produce illiterates.