Date:      Thu, 9 Oct 1997 16:02:16 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        xiyuan qian <xiyuan@npc.haplink.com.cn>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: maximum file descriptors?

On Thu, Oct 09, 1997 at 02:33:07PM +0000, xiyuan qian wrote:

>> On Thu, Oct 09, 1997 at 01:37:52PM +0000, xiyuan qian wrote:
>>> Hi, Here I have a MUD game running on FreeBSD, when there are more than 59
>>> users connected in, it will get an error message with appending to a log
>>> file. The source code is as followings:
>>>
>>> if (( fopen(fname,"a") == NULL){
>>>   fprintf(stderr,"Error opening logfile\n")
>>> }
>>
>> What's the error message?
>>

> The error message is:
>   Error opening logfile

Hmmm, I suppose I asked for that one :-)  But it would be nicer if you
could state the message rather than quoting source code.

Try ulimit:

  ulimit -n 100

This should give you 100 open descriptors.  ulimit -a will probably
show that you have only 64 at the moment.

Alternatively, take a look at the man page for login.conf for a way of
setting the values from login.

Greg