Date:      Tue, 20 Nov 2001 23:19:07 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mike Silbersack <silby@silby.com>
To:        Ian West <ian@niw.com.au>
Cc:        <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: expiring cached routes on in_pcb entries.

On Wed, 21 Nov 2001, Ian West wrote:

> I have seen the problem occur on two different machines, one is running
> code 4.3-STABLE FreeBSD 4.3-STABLE #0: Thu May 10 15:13:04 CST 2001
> the other is 4.3-STABLE FreeBSD 4.3-STABLE #0: Mon May 28 16:10:27 CST
> 2001 Both machines showed named requests taking the wrong route. Both
> recovered by restarting named.
>
> The code I am actually looking at is the source on a 4.4 stable box. I
> will see if I can duplicate the problem with 4.4 stable. Are the recent
> changes a fix for this type of behaviour, or something that may have
> introduced it ?

Hm, good question.  I was going to suggest that rev 1.59.2.2 would fix
your problem, but apparently it only fixes the problem with routes going
away, not routes appearing.

You're probably best contacting Ruslan (ru@freebsd.org) directly; he's
been the one doing the work in that file, and could probably tell you if
his more recent commits address your problem.

As for the expiration of cloned routes:  They're only timed out by a
kernel process which runs minimally once every 10 minutes (more often
under heavy route load.)  This would explain why they're persisting longer
than you expect them to.  I wouldn't worry about the longer than expected
expiration though; expiration of cloned routes isn't the issue here; the
routing code should be invalidating the existing cloned routes when the
new route appears.  (Apparently this is not happening in your situation.)

Mike "Silby" Silbersack