Date:      Tue, 20 Jan 2004 16:41:16 +1000 (EST)
From:      jason andrade <jason@rtfmconsult.com>
To:        Ken Smith <kensmith@cse.Buffalo.EDU>
Cc:        hubs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: freebsd mirroring/release strategy over the next 12 months ?

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004, Ken Smith wrote:

> I'm seeing some active development work being done on MIPS but it's
> just barely getting rolling.  I'd be a little surprised if it becomes

hmm, so we have i386, ia64, amd64, sparc64, pc98 and alpha.  is it possible
to do some work to figure out who is actually carrying all of that ? i've
started bringing ftp.au back in sync after a recent storage upgrade and i
think it's going to take me several weeks to catch up, not to mention
quadruple the disk space the freebsd mirror uses.

> None that I'm aware of but Kris might have something to say about it.
> We do have plans to increase the size of the partition the FTP site
> sits in on ftp-master.

hmm, it'd be really useful to get a current size snapshot of the various
parts of the archive and a 12 month target.

> sets.  Yes, I agree that's a lot and getting bigger.  Tutorial on how
> to use cvsup/rsync to sync less than the entire site in the hubs article
> is way overdue, I'll try to get back to that soon.

this would be great - in particular if we can document the sites that
are carrying one or more archives and the ones that will only carry i386
in future.

> You forgot the Japan master. :-)  If you folks are not seeing issues

oops, sorry.  3 masters seems more than enough at present, netwise and
geographically.

> with where you currently sync from we should be OK in that regard at
> least for now.  But if you're seeing some strain on the masters from
> your perspective maybe it's time for another.  ftp-master.us doesn't
> seem to be under any stress that I can see from watching over it.

good to hear - to try to get our site back in sync i'm syncing from
all of the masters simultaneously..   i do notice that ftp-master.us
does occasionally seem to refuse rsync connections (i.e, is full).

> I've polled the sites I know about periodically just to make sure that
> something FreeBSD-ish is there and it seems like syncs have happened
> recently but I haven't tried to collect a complete list of exactly
> what each site has yet.

i'm happy to try to help here but i think the work was already previously
done (by someone in AU IIRC?) who has something that looked up dns and
polled sites..  maybe that could be used ? also Hank Penning (sp?) wrote
some stuff for mirror monitoring that the apache people are now using
and i'm wondering if we could look at starting to use that for FreeBSD
mirrors too - where would be a good place to install it ?

> This leads to a good question I don't know the answer to.  At what point
> would scaling back to just one version of the 4.X branch be OK?

and how many more releases after 4.9 are going to happen ? :-)

> I remain interested in that as well.  Everything I've managed to
> collect so far is available via rsync from ftp-master.us and does
> appear on the public FTP site I run here (ftp.cse.buffalo.edu).
> It does get hit on occasion so someone(s) know it exists, though
> I haven't tried to publicize it much yet.

i'll have a look there and start syncing bits i'm missing..

there wasn't much feedback/followup from the 5.2 release from mirrors
(or did i miss it?) so possibly it'd be nice for the next release to have a
system of getting some rough stats back - the other mirror lists usually
have a plethora of 'X million people downloaded Y petabytes of foobar 1.X".

regards,

-jason