Date:      Tue, 3 Sep 2002 00:46:03 -0700
From:      Michael Collette <metrol@metrol.net>
Subject:   Hp Scanjet 6300C

Howdy,

Just picked up one of these scanners today, and I've been futzing around with
this thing for the last couple of hours with very little luck.  Here's some
of the details...

Sane can tell there's a scanner there, but it can't tell which one.
sane-find-scanner: found USB scanner (UNKNOWN vendor and product) at device
/dev/uscanner0

And the verbose output from sane-find-scanner
sane-find-scanner: checking /dev/uscanner0... open ok, but vendor and product
could NOT be identified
sane-find-scanner: found USB scanner (UNKNOWN vendor and product) at device
/dev/uscanner0

FreeBSD is getting it right on the boot... from dmesg:
uscanner0: Hewlett-Packard HP ScanJet 6300C, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 2

All the USB stuff appears to be up and running.  Read over Warren Block's
tutorial he posted, and I believe I've tweaked the recommended config files.
In my case...

## [/usr/local/etc/sane.d] cat hp.conf
usb /dev/uscanner0

I actually tried a number of different things in this file, but it doesn't
seem to be relevant until the scanner can be identified.  Maybe it is and
it's just tweaked wrong.  The man page for sane-hp mostly stressed on them
fancy OfficeJets.

And lastly, my FreeBSD uname...
4.6-STABLE FreeBSD 4.6-STABLE #0: Sat Aug 31 03:01:09 PDT 2002

I've gotten SCSI scanners to play nice on FreeBSD in the past.  It's been a
while though.  I'm either missing some silly little tweak, or this scanner
just doesn't play via USB.  I've seen a LOT of references stating that it
does, thus the reason for purchasing this particular scanner.  Need to figure
out which it is before I can't take it back! :)

Thanks,
--
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark
to read."