Date:      Sat, 22 Jan 2005 11:11:53 +0100
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        Ulrich Spoerlein <q@uni.de>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why does everybody switch to dynamic plists?

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 10:04:31 +0100
Ulrich Spoerlein <q@uni.de> wrote:

> Of course I like static plists too (because of grepping), but I am
> concerned about the CVS churn those massive changes will cause. If
> everyone is fine with massive pkg-plist diffs and the associated load on
> CVS and CVSup servers then go ahead, as I said, for me, size is no
> problem and storage is cheap.

Does someone know how often this happens for the large plists we have?
What's the ratio of the size with and without taking the plists into
account for ... lets say a weekly and a daily cvsup/portsnap run?

BTW.: today we have modems which are a lot faster than in the past days.
And AFAIK nobody complained about the time required to update the ports
collection (yes, the collection is larger now) in those days. We don't
have that much ports with a very large plist, and major updates to them
don't happen very frequently. I expect the release-tagging of the ports
collection to be more expensive.

Bye,
Alexander.

--
         The computer revolution is over. The computers won.