Date:      Sun, 22 Mar 1998 21:54:30 +0000
From:      Brandon Stewart <rostewa2@vt.edu>
To:        atomicjello@cyberjunkie.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: panic: cannot mount root

Jason Lin wrote:

> Dear FreeBSD Users:
>
> I am a beginner trying to install FreeBSD, but
> I ran into some problems, they are:
>
> 1) panic: cannot mount root
>
> I can install FreeBSD without any problems,
> that means copy everything to hard disk,
> etc. But after I reboot as instructed in
> the setup program, boot: appeared on the
> screen, but I just hit <return>, and then
> awhile later, I got this problem:
>
> panic: cannot mount root
>
> Then it reboots (15 seconds wait)...

Perhaps you need to specify which hard drive the kernel is on. At the
boot: prompt, type a question mark (?) to get a list of kernels in the
root directory. If you installed FreeBSD on another disk, you may need
to specify which disk the kernel is on. The syntax you need to use
should show up on the boot: prompt, I think it looks something like
0:wd(0,a)kernel . If you're using your second disk, it should look
something like 1:wd(1,a)kernel . Look at what you get at the boot
prompt, and use the guidelines given there.

> 2) X-Window unable to start
>
> I decided that since the root cannot mount,
> I use sysinstall to quit to the root (#)
> instead. I went into X11 directory and
> executed the XF86Config program. In the
> XF86Config program, I answered everything
> it wanted, but when I tried to execute
> "startx" it gives me all this errors saying
> that it cannot connect to client or something
> like that.

Perhaps there wasn't a link made to the X server. cd to /usr/X11R6/bin
and type "ln -s XF86_SVGA", or, if you're running a different type of
video card, substitute your server name where XF86_SVGA is.

Cheers,
Brandon.