Date:      Fri, 10 Dec 2004 10:14:44 +0000
From:      Mark Murray <markm@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Colin Percival <colin.percival@wadham.ox.ac.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Adding standalone RSA code

Colin Percival writes:
> Mark Murray wrote:
> > Colin Percival writes:
> >>I was comparing /usr/lib/libcrypto.a (1.7 MB on my system) to the sum
> >>of the sizes of the object files built from my library code (38 kB).
> >>
> >>If you look at the number of lines of C files (counted using `wc -l`
> >>since I don't want to bother installing sloccount), my code is 1489
> >>lines compared to openssl's 202982 lines.
> >
> > Do you have a version of your code linked against OpenSSL? What is the
> > size difference between a static link of your code vs a static link
> > against OpenSSL?
>
> I don't have a version using openssl, but my key generation program
> (statically linked against my crypto code) is 37kB, while a program
> which calls RSA_generate_key (statically linked against openssl) is
> 240kB.  So even under the most favourable conditions (adding overhead
> to my code but not to openssl) it's a size ratio of more than 6.

Hmm.

I must profess to having a degree of discomfort with duplicated
functionality.

240k is not a big binary, and it sounds like your applet is one that
may get heavy use. Its not built for speed; how much of a problem is
this? If OpenSSL grows hardware BigNum support, your app will not
benefit; how will this affect the user? Is size really a concern?
I can't find a disk smaller than 10 GB at my local dealer.

Mark Murray
iumop ap!sdn w,I idlaH