Date:      Wed, 14 Sep 2005 21:46:29 -0700
From:      Peter Losher <plosher-keyword-freebsd.a36e57@plosh.net>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Best way to load iwi firmware for wpa_supplicant?

--nextPart2429083.JluRdIT0Uq

I now have a Dell Inspiron 700m w/ a integrated iwi chipset, which is=20
detected just fine, and works w/ WEP keys etc. with the iwi firmware=20
loaded from the local/rc.d script.

dmesg below:
=2D=3D-
% dmesg | grep iwi
iwi0: <Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG> mem 0xe0206000-0xe0206fff irq 10 at=20
device 1.0 on pci2
iwi0: Ethernet address: 00:12:f0:a2:bf:98
=2D=3D-

However, I need to get the firmware loaded before wpa_supplicant starts=20
for those WPA networks I attach to. (which is why I still have a ath0=20
card sitting around)

Right now, the preferred method seems to be having a=20
local/etc/devd/iwi.conf defined like so:

=2D=3D-
% more /usr/local/etc/devd/iwi.conf
# devd configuration file for the iwi driver.
# This file downloads the firmware on attach and starts up dhclient=20
# if configured.
#
attach 100 {
        device-name "iwi0";
        action "/usr/local/sbin/iwicontrol -i iwi0=20
=2Dd /usr/local/share/iwi-firmware/ -m bss";
};

# Try to start dhclient when the link comes up. =20
# Only devices that are configured to support DHCP will actually
# run it.  No link down rule exists because dhclient automatically exits
# when the link goes down.
#
notify 100 {
        match "system"          "IFNET";
        match "subsystem"       "iwi0";
        match "type"            "LINK_UP";
        action "/etc/rc.d/dhclient start iwi0";
};
=2D=3D-

Yet when the system boots I get a error when wpa_supplicant starts up:

=2D=3D-
iwi0: Please load firmware
=2D=3D-

Is what I have defined in iwi.conf enough, or am I missing a piece here?

Best Wishes - Peter
=2D-=20
[ http://www.plosh.net/ ] - "Earth Halted: Please reboot to continue"