Date:      Tue, 27 Apr 1999 21:22:57 +0200
From:      Stephane Lentz <Stephane.Lentz@ansf.alcatel.fr>
To:        isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   cannot use PLIP on FreeBSD 3.1R

Hi, this is rather a network problem but maybe some of you have
some advise. I reported the problem in comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
but got no answer.

I try to connect my laptop (Toshiba) running FreeBsd 3.1-release
and a PC running SuSe Linux 6.0  with a laplink cable.
The cable is ok (did some tests with 2 other PCs and PLIP).
The SuSe & PLIP configuration is ok.

My Toshiba's 460CDT  says (dmesg output) :

ppc0 at 0x378 irq 7 on isa
ppc0: generic chipset (ECP/PS2/NIBBLE) in COMPATIBLE mode
ppc0: FIFO with 16/16/16 bytes threshold
nlpt0: <generic printer> on ppbus 0
nlpt0: Interrupt-driven port

I recompiled the kernel with either
device pcm0 at isa? port ? net irq 10 drq 1 flags 0x0
or
device pcm0 at isa? port ? tty irq 10 drq 1 flags 0x0

and did the appropriate ifconfig :

ifconfig lp0 192.168.255.10 192.168.255.5

but I cannot ping my Suse Box.

Any hint on FreeBsd 3.1R's PLIP ?

PS : BTW is the FAQ uptodate ? It talks about lpt but it seems
to have been replaced by nlpt ("deprecated, use ppbus instead"
says the LINT file). Should I use rather lpt ?

Thanks,

Stephane

--
Stephane Lentz - Alcanet International / Internet Services
========	Stephane.Lentz@ansf.alcatel.fr ==========