Date:      Sun, 22 Apr 2001 21:25:00 +1000 (EST)
From:      jason andrade <jason@dstc.edu.au>
To:        Cejka Rudolf <cejkar@dcse.fee.vutbr.cz>
Cc:        hubs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: if you wanted somewhere else to mirror 4.3-RELEASE from..

On Sun, 22 Apr 2001, Cejka Rudolf wrote:

> jason andrade wrote (2001/04/22):
> > I've managed to get a semi complete mirror of freebsd 4.3
> > for i386 if you're looking for an alternate place to mirror
> > from.  I've run into ftp.freebsd.org refusing logins as
> > it fills up.
>
> I have 90 MB at now and speed is about 35 KB/s on ftp.cz.FreeBSD.org
> (TEN site with 2.5 Gb/s backbone and 155 Mb/s connection to main
> node in Germany - Europe of course). How big is 4.3-RELEASE, please?

468     4.3-RELEASE/compat21
1360    4.3-RELEASE/compat3x
352     4.3-RELEASE/compat4x
10836   4.3-RELEASE/crypto
64536   4.3-RELEASE/src
1184    4.3-RELEASE/compat22
33524   4.3-RELEASE/bin
6496    4.3-RELEASE/manpages
5408    4.3-RELEASE/catpages
2488    4.3-RELEASE/games
2196    4.3-RELEASE/proflibs
1116    4.3-RELEASE/dict
2200    4.3-RELEASE/info
12508   4.3-RELEASE/doc
560     4.3-RELEASE/compat1x
360     4.3-RELEASE/compat20
7228    4.3-RELEASE/floppies
11988   4.3-RELEASE/ports
11920   4.3-RELEASE/XF86336/Servers
13372   4.3-RELEASE/XF86336/PC98-Servers
52768   4.3-RELEASE/XF86336
217752  4.3-RELEASE

excluding packages and tools which i've symlinked..

> Rsync is on my today's TODO list. Please, do you have any fast
> how-to-setup-server-and-test-rsync-client? Thanks.

you can find a lot of help just looking at http://rsync.samba.org

my quick how to setup is:

get the rsync package - 2.4.6 is the latest
unpack and compile it
install it in your favourite location

copy your favourite init script and modify it to start
rsync as a daemon calling it as  /path/to/rsync --daemon

create a rsyncd.conf file in /etc which looks like:

uid = ftp
gid = ftp
max connections =  10
transfer logging = yes
log file = /server/rsync/logs/rsyncd.log
log format = %o %h [%a] %m (%u) %f %l %b %c
motd file = /server/rsync/etc/motd
lock file = /var/run/rsyncd.lock
pid file = /var/run/rsyncd.pid
dont compress = *
read only = true
use chroot = true
timeout = 600

[freebsd]
        path = /ftp/pub/freebsd
        comment = FreeBSD
        list = false

if you want mirror sites to be able to connect/access via rsync
(as opposed to power end users) i recommend you either password
protect rsync or use access control (hosts allow = )

> At now, I have 5 % (speed ranges from 20 to 50 KB/s). I can be much
> faster, but it is almost impossible to get more parallel connections.

i would really discourage parallel connections - they're one of the
things i really hate personally beyond say 2 connections at most.

-jason