Date:      Sun, 09 Feb 1997 16:47:17 -0800
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
To:        Joerg Wunsch <joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de>
Cc:        FreeBSD hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>, Thomas David Rivers <ponds!rivers@dg-rtp.dg.com>
Subject:   Re: Copious information on panic: ffs_valloc: dup alloc - IDEAS???

J Wunsch wrote:

> As Thomas David Rivers wrote:
>
> >  You're saying the code in newfs.c that sets NTRACKS to 1 and
> > NSECTORS to 4096 would be changed.
>
> Yes, to e.g. 2 * 2048 instead.  It's a mileage number only anyway,
> since Poul found out (experimentally) that it just works better than
> any (un)real number on today's zone-bit recorded and large cache
> disks.
>
> >  If this is so, doesn't that mean that everyone is using a file system
> > that is questionable.  Aren't inode reads/writes going to the wrong
> > places (albeit consistently?)
>
> I'm no filesystem expert at all, but this seems to be the case.  The
> failure picture matches consistently with the reported MFS troubles
> (including mine), and it's probably also responsible for some other
> panic PRs you could find in the GNATS database.
>
> --

Kirk suggested setting the number of heads to 1 to
turn off the "selelct a nearby head" code..

if you make it have 2 heads, this code will be enabled
again and we'll lose the effect..
it pessimise the accesses by switching to a differnt head that it
thinks has a nearby free block.. in the case of 2 heads (as suggested)
this is actually likely to be "NOT NEARBY" and we will lose

you could HEAR the difference when we went to 1 head..