Date:      Fri, 25 Apr 1997 09:11:56 +1000
From:      "Keith Spencer" <bsd@smmc.qld.edu.au>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Greg & all...start_if.tun0 <> OK

Hi,
I followed your previous instructions to auto start ppp at boot.
In rc.local the command   ppp -auto -alias ISP  works.
I put this line in  /etc/start_if.tun0 instaead as suggested & it
doesn't appear to work.
i.e. ping xx.xx.xx.xx  doesn't initiate a dial out. Other strange
effects...Have I got things set up right??... with ppp -auto ISP
running
 a)  ping localhost gives a blank line
b)  ping xx.xx.xx.xx  gives a blank line response as well
c)  ifconfig -a   reports none of the interfaces...lo0 tun0 de0 sl0
    as being RUNNING  or UP   ????
I feel so far I have learnt a hell-a-va-lot, but sooo many things
don't seem to function! I guess I'll keep trying : ^ (
I didn't really think my system was at all exotic but fbsd perhaps
thinks so?
P.S I still have no syslogd running....the system seems to remove the
/var/run/log thing each time I boot...ho hum

Joke...what do you call a fly with no wings....a walk ; ^)

Thanks for your eye/ear

Keith Spencer
Teacher...St Margaret Marys College
Townsville Australia