Date:      Thu, 29 Nov 2012 07:29:28 -0800
From:      Waitman Gobble <gobble.wa@gmail.com>
To:        "illoai@gmail.com" <illoai@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: audio CD/CD-TEXT

On Nov 29, 2012 7:08 AM, "illoai@gmail.com" <illoai@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 29 November 2012 01:30, Waitman Gobble <gobble.wa@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > A girl sent me her CD and it appears that she created a mixed mode
> > disc with CD-TEXT info of her lyrics. I can't recall playing/noticing
> > such a disc in the past 10 years so I'm at a loss.
> >
> > I can dump the audio tracks (cdda2wav) and/or play the audio disc with
mplayer.

> > Anyone with a pointer on how to get at the CD-TEXT info? ie, read the
> > lyrics. THANKS!
>
> It's been a decade or more, but I remember that Tori Amos's
> Raspberry Swirl CD-single had a couple of real-media tracks
> tacked onto it, which I was able to successfully extract some-
> how, though I don't recall exactly how at the moment.  I also
> don't have any such disc handy, but does FreeBSD still create
> the individual nodes for tracks (a la /dev/cd0t1, /cd0t2, . . .)?
> You may be able to dd(1) the track & see if it has anything
> resembling text in it, or perhaps is mountable as an iso.
>
> --
> --

Thanks for the reply.

it does not appear to create the device nodes for each track, the manual
says it does that for atapi devices.

I did notice that cdda2wav created a txtinfo file resembling the data
track, but it appears to be mostly unintelligible with bits of
recognizeable english words mixed in, file cmd says its binary. I suppose
I'll need to do some research and experimentation with the cdda2wav program
to get at the meats.

Waitman Gobble
San Jose California