Date:      Fri, 3 Feb 2012 10:47:21 -0500
From:      "David Magda" <dmagda@ee.ryerson.ca>
To:        "Pete French" <petefrench@ingresso.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sector size of a zvol

On Fri, February 3, 2012 10:03, Pete French wrote:
> [...] But what I am talking about is the sector size
> presneted by the 'fake' disc that a ZVOL creates - that always seems
> to be 512 bytes, despite the fact that the zvol blocksize is 8k. Seems
> odd to me (and that 8k size os alterable, but just doesnt seem to
> be reflected in the zvol). As it stands I can make a zpool on top
> of 4k discs, a ZVOL using 8k blocks on top of that, but the things
> talking to it will use 512 byte chunks, which surely impacts performance ?

Try the following from the zfs(1M) man page:

    zfs create [-ps] [-b blocksize] [-o property=value] ... -V size volume
    [...]
	 -b blocksize

	   Equivalent to -o  volblocksize=blocksize.  If  this  option  is
	   specified  in  conjunction  with -o volblocksize, the resulting
	   behavior is undefined.

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=zfs

Did use "blocksize" or "volblocksize" in your "zfs create" command?

A thread for zfs-discus on "volblocksize":

http://mail.opensolaris.org/pipermail/zfs-discuss/2005-November/000450.html